My husband, Mark and I made our first trip to Key West in 1997. We were astounded at all the sites and sounds of Key West and fell hopelessly in love with the historic Old Town neighborhood - the grand Victorian houses and the colorful Conch cottages, that lined the streets, some tucked away along narrow lane ways; we took in the most breathtaking sunsets and adapted quickly to the casual, rhythmic beat of island life!.
We always ride our bicycles around town to do the shopping and sometimes all around the entire island along the beaches, bays and inlets. Afternoons, we bike to Fort Zachary State Park (5 minutes) to the beach for sunning and swimming in the sparkling turquoise waters. Our car remains parked under the carport, as we just don't need it, unless we venture up the Keys for a day trip.
We both thoroughly enjoy the carefree, active and stimulating lifestyle Key West offers - hard to attain anywhere else in the world! There is so much fascinating history and stunning natural beauty and it's all here.. in Key West.
The authentic island flavor of the nearby neighborhood, 'Bahama Village' and the lush grandeur of the spectacular Truman Annex Community have resonated with us from our very first visit and continue to provide a welcome refuge from a frantically fast paced world elsewhere.
A relaxed Conch way of life is definitely for us! How about You?
Why We Chose Island Queen
- Our Foundry Building is an historic structure circa 1860, located within the gated community of the Truman Annex, formerly a U.S. Naval Base.
- The open concept main floor 'struck home' and the lofty 12 foot high ceilings stunted other properties we have viewed previously. Even now, the antique exposed brick walls fill the living space with character and remind us of the rich and colorful heritage of amazing Key West!
- There are 3 residents in our entire building and we enjoy this exclusivity. We love to grill and have dinner 'under the stars' most evenings. We value the large and extremely rare outdoor space with its palm lined garden, deck and antique brick patio. The garden offers quiet privacy, tremendous everyday and nightly enjoyment and true relaxation at any time of day.
- The wide center hall plan and unique lay-out of our home was also instantly to our liking! The two bedrooms upstairs are absolutely separate with their own adjoining bathrooms for total privacy - if 2 couples are staying at 'Island Queen'.
- Our home has 2 levels and this was very important to us. We had previously owned a 3 level home in the same Foundry neighborhood of the Truman Annex community for a number of years. We found the 3 level arrangement awkward, as our friends would have to trudge past our 2nd floor bedroom and then up yet another flight of stairs, to their bedroom.The only drawback to our current 2 level home and great layout for privacy is... EVERYONE we know wants to come for a visit at 'Island Queen' when we are in residence!
- Its prime location means you can join in the frivolity of the infamous Duval Street, knowing you always have the option to retreat back to the quiet and peace of 'Island Queen', its tropical garden and lush surroundings.
- The parking space for your car is directly at the garden gate - convenient for bringing luggage and groceries inside!
- 'Island Queen' has an inspiring and comfortable atmosphere you won't easily forget. Not only is it in the best location - 'Island Queen' is a one-of-a-kind property!
- Our guests have always been thoughtful and caring of our home and its contents and many of them return year after year. We wish you a memorable vacation at 'Island Queen' so you will want to return in the years to come!